Subject: Health and Social Care
Level: AS and A LEVEL
Exam Board: A.Q.A.
Location: Y Pant School
The most important thing you need in order to take Advanced Health and Social Care is a lively and enquiring mind, an interest in health and social care, a willingness to explore new ideas and an ability to communicate your ideas effectively.
What will I learn?
- Gain a broad understanding of health, social care and early years working environments
- Develop skills, knowledge and understanding in health, social care and early years
- Have an opportunity to apply learning in a practical and realistic way
- Follow a programme of study that enables progression to both higher education and employment in health, social care and early years
- Develop key skills that are highly valued by employers and universities
- Gain confidence by developing independent learning skills.
Who is the course suitable for?
This course will appeal to those students who:
- Enjoy studying a subject that is relevant to his or her own lives and experience
- Want the opportunity to carry out practical work as well as class work
- Enjoy discovering about themselves in practical situations
- Want to find out more about the subject through personal investigation
- Are interested in developing an understanding of caring organisations and the clients they serve
- Want to study a course that is active and enjoyable
- Want to move onto a related career or higher education course
Students with AS/A LEVEL in Health and Social Care have access to a wide range of career and higher education opportunities. You learn and use a variety of transferable skills throughout the course. These include collecting, analysing and interpreting data, communicating your findings in different ways, and identifying and developing the links between different parts of the subject. These skills are in great demand and are recognised by employers and universities and colleges as being of great value.
Health and Social Care combines well with almost all AS and Advanced GCE subjects. Taken with an Advanced GCE in Science it supports applications for a degree in nursing or midwifery or, with one of a range of Advanced GCEs or Single Awards, it supports applications for Teacher Training or Social Work. Awards in Health and Social Care provide the basis for a broad range of university courses in Social Science.
Many students choose to use their qualification to go straight into employment, rather than go on to higher education. Because Health and Social Care students develop the transferable skills and the key skills that employers are looking for, they can lead to a very wide range of employment opportunities. This can include further training in such areas as Social Work, Caring and Education.
The A LEVEL Single Award is made up of 3 units — 6 for double award. Units 11 – 13 are compulsory for the single award A LEVEL
Single Award AS
|Single Award A LEVEL|
Unit 1 Effective Caring
Unit 2 Effective Communication
Unit 3 Health, Illness and Disease
Unit 4 Child Development
Unit 5 Nutrition and Dietetics
Unit 9 Complementary Therapies
Unit 11 Working in Health & Social Care
Unit 12 Human Development
Unit 13 The Role of Exercise in Maintaining Health and Well-Being
Unit 15 Clients with Disabilities
Unit 16 Early Years Education OR Unit 17 Understanding Mental Disorder
Unit 20 Environmental Health
Each unit will be assessed by either an external examination or the production of a portfolio of evidence.
Staff to see for further information – Mrs J. Griffiths