WJEC GCSE BUSINESS STUDIES
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
This GCSE specification in Business will enable learners to:
- Actively engage in the study of business to develop as effective and independent learners, and as critical and reflective thinkers with enquiring minds
- Use an enquiring, critical approach to distinguish facts and opinions, to build arguments and make informed judgements
- Develop and apply business knowledge, understanding and skills to contemporary issues in a range of local, national and global contexts
- Appreciate a range of perspectives on the impacts of business on wider society
- Consider the extent to which business activity can be ethical and support sustainable development
- Develop and apply quantitative skills relevant to business including using and interpreting data
- Apply and relate knowledge and understanding to real enterprise and business opportunities, decision making and scenarios.
This GCSE specification introduces learners to the business world, empowering them to develop as commercially minded and enterprising individuals. Learners will have the opportunity to develop a wide range of skills, enabling them to use business information critically, to develop arguments, to make justified decisions and to prepare them for further study and career pathways.
The focus of the specification is to introduce and nurture an enthusiasm for studying business in a range of contexts. Learners will appreciate how businesses operate in a dynamic and competitive environment and develop an understanding of the interdependent nature of business functions from a local to a global perspective.
This specification also gives learners an opportunity to produce extended written responses and demonstrate the quality of their written communication, including appropriate use of punctuation and grammar.
The subject content enables learners to apply their knowledge and understanding to different business contexts, including businesses ranging from small enterprises to large multinationals and businesses operating in local, national and global contexts. Learners are required to develop an understanding of how these contexts impact on business behaviour.
Learners will gain an understanding of the important role played by these business organisations in the economy of Wales and the rest of the UK.
The content is presented in six clear and distinct topic areas:
- Business activity
- Influences on business
- Business operations
- Human resources
The subject content for GCSE Business will be assessed across two examination papers.
Unit 1: Business World
Written examination: 2 hours
62.5% of qualification
Total marks: 100
Unit 2: Business Perceptions
Written examination: 1 hour 30 minutes
37.5% of qualification
Total marks: 60
Both units assess content from all six topic areas, so learners will be required to draw together knowledge, skills and understanding from across the subject content in each assessment.